Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Mommy: The Storm Chaser


I LOVE summer time.  For thirteen years I've spent my summers with Mommy.  We do lots of fun things each summer.  We take walks, go swimming, and hang out together.  But as much as I love summer, there is one part of the season I do NOT like: THUNDERSTORMS!!!  I haven't always been a Fraidy Cat, but the older I get, the more storms terrify me.

We've had a LOT of storms so far this summer.  The most recent one wasn't that bad in retrospect, but I could not settle.  I woke Mommy up about 1:30AM with a sharp bark.  She took me out to potty, but then went back to bed.  I woke her again a long time later.  We went out again (yes, in the rain) at 2:00AM.  She could tell this was going to be a long night, so she brought her pillow down this time.

She did everything she could think of to calm me down.  She put the thundershirt on me (too late in my opinion), she lay on the floor with me, pet me, whispered soothing words to me, even tried to ignore me as she lay on the sofa.  It didn't help that the power kept going off.  There weren't many lights on in the house at that hour (just the one over the stove and on the fridge, a few clocks), but when they start flashing it's annoying.  There weren't any noises at that time either (except for my heavy breathing), but somehow the house makes a lot of noises when the power goes off and on.  Finally, Mommy did the unthinkable . . .

She helped me up on the leather sofa!!!  This is a serious no-no in our house (at least in Daddy's mind).  She did spread a blanket out first so that I would (hopefully) not ruin the leather.  Then she proceeded to lie down on top of me.  She even put her pillow on me so she could be comfy.  And we both, finally, fell asleep!  I don't think it was the best sleep Mommy has had, but she sure did make me feel safe and secure.  The last thing I heard as I fell asleep was her sigh when I stopped panting so loudly.



[sigh]  It's good to be loved!  Hopefully there won't be many more storms!  But thankfully Mommy will be here to chase them away if they arise.

Crossing my paws,
Hunter


No comments:

Post a Comment

We welcome your comments about this post. Woof! Woof!