Wednesday, October 24, 2018

Labsolutely Pawfect


Recently Mommy became paranoid again and took me to the vet.  (Hopefully this is the last time for a while since it seems she's been doing this regularly lately!)  She thought I was drinking a lot of water.  It's kind of hard for her to tell which of us is drinking more since there are three of us, but in her heart she seemed to know it was me.  I could have told her it was me if she'd only asked!  Silly Mommy.


Mommy suspected a urinary tract infection and took a urine sample with us to the vet so we wouldn't have to waste time waiting on me to feel the urge to potty.  We saw a new vet at our usual animal hospital who seemed impressed with Mommy's preparedness.  This vet was new to us, but who knows, she seemed much younger than Mommy so maybe she actually is a new vet!?!?  The urine sample showed I did not have a UTI, but it did indicate I was drinking an awful lot of water.

I made friends with Snowy while waiting to see the vet.


To be on the safe side, the vet wanted to run a full bloodwork panel to make sure there was nothing wrong with my kidneys.  Mommy agreed immediately, but it put her on edge.  Her first dawg, Charlie died at the age of eight (my age) from kidney failure.  Mommy and Poppa learned how to give Charlie fluids through an IV and it was very disturbing for both of them and for Charlie.  Apparently Grandma used to go take a shower when it was time for fluids so she didn't have to hear any of this process. Mommy swore she would never, ever do that to a dawg again no matter how much she loved the dawg.  There is a fine line between being selfish and being helpful when it comes to healthcare for dawgs.


Mommy said some serious prayers while waiting for the test results.  She was so worried that my kidneys were failing and she was going to have to tell Daddy that his Number One was in trouble.  I spent this time chilling on the floor, looking out the window, and hoping the door would open to aid me in my escape!




Thankfully, the lab results proved I was labsolutely pawfect.  (Was there any doubt?)  Technically, my thyroid is a tiny bit low, but I'm not showing any signs of that disease.  Mommy has been instructed to keep an eye out for any symptoms of hypothyroidism.  Since she's personally had experience with both hypo- and hyperthyroidism, that shouldn't be difficult!

We also learned there's a weird disease called psychogenic polydipsia that causes dawgs to drink lots of water for no apparent reason.  The only cure for that is to remove access to water during the night and while the humans are away from home to prevent accidents.  Mommy doesn't really think this fits me either.


The bottom line from our visit was summed up pawfectly by the vet tech who said: 

Jenna is best dawg I've ever seen! 

Yes, I completely concur!


Once my appointment was over, I rode with Mommy to the pharmacy to pick up her prescriptions.  The line was long and one of the medications was not quite ready for pick up.


I was a little bit impatient in the car.  Probably because we finally had to get out of line and just park and wait. While waiting, my nose got the best of me.  Look at what was just sitting next door . . .
Chick-fil-A!



Unfortunately, Mommy did not pick up dinner or even a little snack for me while we waited.  Instead, we drove home where she fixed me "The Usual."  [sigh]  At least she knows what I like.


Have you noticed what my bandana says?  Blessed Y'all!  That is so true.  I'm blessed to have a paranoid Mommy who just knows when something isn't quite right.  Despite not being treated to Chick-fil-A, I'm blessed in so many ways.

I hope you also have a paranoid Mommy!  ( I know my Mommy does . . . you know who I'm talking about Grandma!  Ha!)

Jenna

No comments:

Post a Comment

We welcome your comments about this post. Woof! Woof!