Tuesday, April 11, 2017

The Unfortunate Incident (Part 2)

The last time we posted, you read about The Unfortunate Incident where I accidentally broke Mommy's finger.  The situation got much worse for both of us!

For Mommy, she says she always thought she had a pretty high tolerance for pain.  That was before The Unfortunate Incident.  Several hours after learning the first joint in her middle finger was broken, the PAIN KICKED IN!  She was miserable that first night.  She remained in pain for a couple weeks, but nothing was quite like that first night.  The pain medication didn't seem to help at all.

My situation became grave as well.  The state in which we live requires the doctor to report all dog bites despite Mommy and Daddy taking my up-to-date vaccination records with them to the examination.  They were not allowed to leave the doctor's office until they met with Animal Control.   Mommy explained that she was the idiot who had willingly placed her hand inside my mouth and that I had no idea I'd bitten her (her words, not mine).  It did not matter and Mommy was in tears when the officer said I would have to be QUARANTINED!!!!  The horror!  I really don't look good in orange or stripes.  Mommy felt sooooo bad for me since it truly wasn't my fault!

On the bright side, I was able to undergo a house quarantine and didn't have to actually be put in the slammer.  The fact that Animal Control forgot to show up and officially "start the quarantine" and then tried to serve Mommy papers for "failure to surrender" me is a whole other story I will NOT be sharing with you!  I served ten days under house arrest.  It wasn't fun, but Mommy tried to make it as pleasant for me as possible.  (These aren't the best pictures, but remember Mommy was operating the camera one handed.)

Over the last six months, Mommy has had several x-rays of her finger and plenty of appointments with a specialist.  We never know what color Mommy's finger will be upon her return!

She is doing physical therapy at home a few times a day and even six months later she's still wrapping her finger for a few hours each day.  She's started buying the wrap in bulk online and we never know what colors will be in each delivery!  For the most part, the finger has healed.  I barely even left a scar.  The biggest issue now is the joints in her finger are still swollen and stiff.  Some days are better than others.  The doctor says it could take a YEAR for it to return to normal!  [gulp!]  Although the fingernail did not fall off (whew!), the nail bed was damaged and there was an ugly ridge across the nail for about three months.  That's now gone.  Finally, something to bark about!

Here's what the finger actually looks like:

In Mommy's mind, here's what her finger looks like . . .

or this . . .

Mommy's very self-conscious about her finger when out in public, especially making purchases and signing the receipt with her right hand.  (Hey, I have an idea.  STOP shopping!  Ha!)  Hopefully with continued physical therapy and wrapping, the finger will return to normal one day . . . We'll let you know in another six months!

So now you know the ugly truth about me.  I was a very bad girl, but I'm trying to make up for it.  I've become much more snuggly in the last six months and do anything I can to stay in Mommy's good graces.  She says she's pretty sure she'll always have her fat joints to remember me by!


PS: Happy birthday yesterday to Aunt C!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We welcome your comments about this post. Woof! Woof!