Friday, October 3, 2014

Yours, Mine, and Ours


A lot of modern families are blended families.  Not our family; we are very traditional.  There are two parents and three kids, um . . . dawgs!  Yet somehow we still manage to adhere to the theory of "yours, mine, and ours!"

Jenna is definitely Daddy's Girl.  She loves him wholeheartedly.  When he's home, she usually wants to be with him wherever he is located in the house: working in the garage, manning the grill, relaxing on the sofa.  Daddy even made a label to go on Jenna's crate that says "Daddy's Girl."  Mommy was none too pleased with that turn of events.  She believes in not having favorites and she works hard to make sure each of us are loved on as much as possible.  We won't tell Daddy that Jenna follows Mommy around the house when he's not here.  And it's a minor technicality that Daddy seems to be most allergic to Jenna!  I think Jenna agrees that she belongs to Daddy.


Dixie is Mommy's Girl.  She was Mommy's first "daughter" and was so tiny when she came home to us that Mommy could cradle and carry Dixie around like a baby (and did).  Dixie was the only girl for almost two years and bonded quite quickly to Mommy.  She loves to be with Mommy and is quite the snuggle bug.  Dixie seeks out Mommy's kisses and hugs when she is feeling jealous of Jenna (frequently).  Mommy scrapbooked a name plate for Dixie's crate that was adorable. but we haven't seen it since Jenna's arrival.  This isn't because Mommy loves Dixie less, but because of the direction Dixie's crate has been turned since Jenna's crate was added to the mix.  This really depresses Mommy, but there is nothing she can do about it (unless she ditches both crates . . . hint, hint, Daddy???).  I think Dixie definitely prefers Mommy to Daddy.


I, on the other hand, am proud to say I am fought over by both Mommy and Daddy.  Daddy said recently they would be hard pressed to say who I belong to.  I was their only child for eight years.  That's a long time.  (Daddy knows the feeling well since he is eight years older than Aunt C.)  I have great memories of spending time with both Mommy and Daddy.  I was a gift to Mommy for her 29th birthday.  She and I have spent many summers together while Daddy was working.  Daddy and I bonded together over my stubbornness and the need to teach me a bit of discipline.  I enjoy spending time with both.  And better yet, they both claim me as their own!


Don't get me wrong.  Mommy and Daddy love Dixie and Jenna both.  And they try to not show favorites (well, Mommy does anyway).  But if push came to shove, they'd have to fight over me!  Am I lucky or what?

Lucky Dawg,
Hunter

No comments:

Post a Comment

We welcome your comments about this post. Woof! Woof!